Historically Speaking: Morrill Block thrived in Dover, until 1932 fire

Advertisement

BEGIN ARTICLE PREVIEW:

When Dr. John Ham submitted his review of Dover doctors to the NH Medical Society in 1879, one of the names on the list was James E. Lothrop.  It was a brief synopsis: born in Rochester, NH in 1826, he “read medicine” with Dr. Jeremiah Howe in Dover, followed by a degree from the Jefferson Medical School in Philadelphia in 1848. He returned to Dover, married a daughter of Joseph Morrill, gave up the practice after one year, and according to Dr. Ham, “became a merchant.” The latter would be an understatement.We’ve previously mentioned the pharmacy of Lothrops and Pinkham, located at 466 Central Ave. on what was then Franklin Square. The Pinkham half was Alonzo, the Lothrop half was James E. (for Eldridge) and, for a time, his brother Daniel. From the very beginning, as noted, the store offered more than medicines: they were “booksellers,” and sold “paper hangings, window shades, etc.”  (That was in the early years. Well into the 20th century the store was advertising “wallpapers, room mouldings, window shades, blank books and stationery, Eastman Kodaks and supplies … toilet articles, confectionery, and sick room supplies”; seemingly, almost as an afterthought, “Special attention given to the compounding of prescriptions.” (By this …

END ARTICLE PREVIEW

READ MORE FROM SOURCE ARTICLE